Section 3: Federal Project Authorization and Agreement (FPAA)Anchor: #i999567
In initiating a right of way project, federal program approval establishes eligibility for federal participation but does not qualify the project for actual reimbursement. Since the state expects to obtain full federal participation, program eligibility requirements must be met before the project is given full authority to proceed and any right of way expense is incurred or obligated.
Right of way and construction projects are programmed separately and have different project numbers.
When a project involving right of way is approved by the Texas Transportation Commission (the Commission) and is submitted to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) to be included or added to the Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP), the approved limits for right of way acquisition established in the Commission program approval will not be changed.
Right of way projects may cover any number of construction projects, as conditions dictate. However, right of way and advanced planning projects should be programmed over the same limits and should be as close as possible to the construction project limits. Sharing the same limits facilitates project development and program procedure.Anchor: #i999594
If any part of right of way work (e.g., a utility adjustment) is included in a construction contract, charge the work to the ROW CSJ. Detail this cost separate and apart from regular construction items in the construction plans and estimates.
Projects approved in the STIP by FHWA may be given full authority by the ROW Program Office for right of way acquisition only after FHWA issues a Federal Project Authorization and Agreement (FPAA), if applicable.
The ROW Division, Contracts and Finance Section, Project Financial Management Branch must submit the following information to the Financial Management Division for federal funds approval:
- Anchor: #DAAWNURF
- Construction CSJ number as shown in the Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP); Anchor: #XLJBUOIA
- project environmental clearance; Anchor: #MWINVNEB
- an estimate of total right of way costs, form ROW-RM-CSJ/TPC Right of Way CSJ Total Project Cost, and other information as required.
Give special attention to the following items:
- Anchor: #FQHNGBQR
- Word Limits: This should cover only the right of way portion of the project and should agree with the program item. Use of words “approximately” and “near” is permissible to make word limits coincide with terminal points and project lengths. Anchor: #CKREVYFM
- Financing: Show the best estimate of total costs and express it in even amounts of $100. If the amount of the estimate exceeds the total of the authorized funds, make a request for additional funds needed and obtain approval. Anchor: #QJOSXVAO
- Submission: Submit the form ROW-RM-CSJ/TPC Right of Way CSJ Total Project Cost to the ROW Program Office.