Manual Developers: The following text is a description of the content of this section (called a page). The language should refer directly to the content of the page and include keywords or phrases that a user would enter when searching for information relating to the page’s topic. A user only sees this page description when reviewing search results.
Please note in your review comments if the following description is inaccurate:
This page discusses policy regarding negotiation contacts, which are meetings with property owners affected by a r/w property acquisition. It addresses state authority.
Section 11: Negotiation Contacts and Reports (for State)Anchor: #i1004641
Pursuant to Section 21.0111 of the Texas Property Code, the initial offer must be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested. Subsequently, the personal negotiation contact usually consists of more than one meeting with a property owner. During the negotiation contact:
- present, if necessary, a copy of the initial offer letter previously sent by certified mail, return receipt requested;
- fully discuss the offer;
- answer any questions the owner has regarding the offer and acquisition;
- give the owner a right of way acquisition brochure;
- give the owner a relocation brochure; and
- have property owner sign Acknowledgment of Receipt of Appraisal Report if the Acknowledgment previously sent with the initial offer letter, via certified mail, was not executed and returned by the owner.
Keep negotiation reports, covering each contact with property owners, in the acquisition file. These reports:
- allow for better coordination of construction plan preparation, desired letting date, and right of way progress;
- help TxDOT's attorney in ED proceedings; and
- are proof of negotiation efforts.
Immediately after each contact with a property owner, the negotiator should use Form ROW-N-94, Negotiator's Report to record:
- the date and place of contact;
- persons present;
- dollar amounts of offers made;
- reasons agreement could or could not be reached; and
- any other pertinent data.
Submission of these reports to the ROW Program Office in Austin is not required except for parcels referred for ED action.