Manual Notice: 2016-1
From: Gregg A. Freeby, P.E., Director, Bridge Division
Manual: Bridge Project Development Manual
Effective Date: September 01, 2016Anchor: #MWADKALU
This manual provides guidance and outlines uniform procedures and policies for administering and developing projects involving bridges.Anchor: #OQGDPCSH
This revision constitutes a complete rewrite of the manual. The overall language was refined and condensed for clarification and better flow. Specific manual information still remains to help the user locate the correct manual for further information. All duplicate information in this manual was removed so as not to conflict with the Office of Primary Responsibilities’ manuals.
The following sections have been specifically modified to reflect changes in TxDOT’s organizational structure and to reflect updates to The Bridge Division Project Development Section’s policies, practices, and procedures:
- Anchor: #BNVOUPCV
- Chapter 1 – Organizational Overview
- Anchor: #TMKPTWKX
- Chapter 2 -- Bridge Programming
- Anchor: #RCXJJEAJ
- Section 1 – “Bridge Division’s Role” was updated with the federal definition of a bridge from the Highway Bridge Program section; the new transportation bill FAST Act, and information regarding the UTP’s Category 6 funding and its subprograms. Anchor: #MSSLIOKO
- Section 2 – “Category 6 Funding” is a new section containing general information about the UTP’s Category 6 Structure Replacement and Rehabilitation funding such as: eligibility, programming, and change orders. Definitions from the Highway Bridge Program section were moved to this section if they were more general to the overall funding UTP category. Information was provided about Category 6 Developmental Authority. Anchor: #VDEBKOKH
- Section 3 – “Highway Bridge Program” was condensed and cleaned up to clearly illustrate the program’s eligibility, programming, and prioritization methods. Table 2-1 was added to elaborate on the funding program’s annual selection process. Information was added to the off-system HBP project section pertaining to the Participation Waived/Equivalent-Match Project Program. Anchor: #GJRLMCUC
- Section 4 – “Bridge Maintenance and Improvement Program” is a new section containing specific information about the funding program’s eligibility, prioritization and programming. Table 2-2 was included to elaborate on the funding program’s annual selection process. Anchor: #OJAOIPOS
- Section 5 – “Railroad Grade Separation Program” was condensed and streamlined to clearly illustrate the specific program's eligibility, programming, and prioritization methods. The railroad underpass project attribute weights were revised for the priority rating score. Table 2-3 was included to elaborate on the funding program’s annual selection process. The railroad agreement process for Exhibit A and B was further developed. Anchor: #SRYMIQSD
- Section 6 – “Rail Replacement Program” is a new section containing specific information about the funding program’s eligibility, prioritization and programming. Table 2-4 was included to elaborate on the funding program’s annual selection process.
- Anchor: #MURSXHVH
- Chapter 3 -- Preliminary Design
- Anchor: #VXELMQCO
- Section 1 – “General Features” was updated with: the revised information about span lengths, new bridge railing, bridge beginnings and ends, excavation protection requirements, and staged construction procedures; the clarifications on horizontal alignments, sidewalks, bike paths, and illuminations; the complete rewrite of the design exceptions process to remove any non-bridge related design exceptions; the new preferred corrosion protection systems; and the removal of out-of-date detailed bridge joint information. Anchor: #YOKHOUTH
- Section 2 – “Features Based on Bridge Location” was revised with minor clarifications in the following subsections: highway grade separation, structures over streams, railroad overpasses and underpasses, and pedestrian bridges.
- Anchor: #CMIMYXME
- Chapter 4 -- Advanced Planning
- Section 1 – “General Considerations” was updated with clarifications to the subsections: New Bridges, and Modifications of Existing Structures, specifically removing extraneous language about condition surveys and stage construction. Further information was provided in detour/temporary crossing structures and economic comparisons and alternate designs subsections. Major revisions and clarifications were provided in the environmental concerns subsection pertaining to lead-based paint and asbestos. Anchor: #CYJXSCTE
- Section 2 – “Considerations Based on Bridge Location” was revised with minor clarifications in the following subsections: Highway Grade Separations, Structures over Streams, Highway-Railroad Grade Separations, Federally Funded Off-system Bridges, and Interchanges. Table 4-1 was updated with the two off-system bridges spanning Texas and Oklahoma. This subsection, bridges with adjacent states, was rewritten to include the required procedures for their project development from the formation of the agreement to post construction. Anchor: #LIQSIWRF
- Section 3 – “Agreements and Permits” has minor clarifications to the subsections: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Environmental Protection Agency, Railroad, and Local Government Agencies. Anchor: #PFMHRWNP
- Section 4 – “Utility Attachments” is revised to state that the Bridge Division is the Office of Primary Responsibility for all bridge utility attachments. All agreements will be stored in the Bridge Inspection Database. Information about temporary/saltwater pipelines was added to this section. The subsection concerning USGS gauging stations was rewritten to include the required procedures for developing and executing a USGS agreement.
- Anchor: #OHYYBUFY
- Chapter 5 – Bridge Plan Review Processes
- Section 1 – “Preliminary Bridge Layout Review” was updated with revisions and clarifications to how PBLRs are submitted and the required submittal documentation for Bridge Division, federal, and railroad project review. Anchor: #KTHICYDN
- Section 2 – “Bridge PS&E Review” was rewritten to explain the Department’s new policy on Bridge Division’s role in the PS&E review process. Anchor: #DGSDKSNR
- Section 3 – “Bridge Cost Information Review” is a new section pertaining to the Department’s federal requirement to provide the average unit cost data for all bridge class structures. Information provided assists the Districts with obtaining and entering the correct data for the Bridge Division’s annual unit cost calculations.
- Anchor: #DNXPKUMA
- Chapter 6 – Bridge Project Development
- Anchor: #PJIMGIPB
- Section 1 – “Bridge Project Development Submission Schedules” provides Table 6-1 for information about a typical bridge project’s schedule to assist with timely project development. Table 6-2 is a specific submission schedule for geotechnical work. Anchor: #NLTIQSCA
- Section 2 – “Requests for Development of Bridge and Geotechnical Work” was revised to add specific information needed for bridge and geotechnical design detail requests. Anchor: #USFMWHMP
- Section 3 – “Other Relevant Information” provides a description of the National Bridge Inventory number and the P3B screen in Design Construction Information System (DCIS).
For more information about any portion of this manual, please contact the TxDOT Bridge Division.Anchor: #BEQVJUJI
Past manual notices are available in a pdf archive.