Section 2: Change Order Approval AuthorityAnchor: #b070014
CO approval authority is based on the franchise model as outlined in the May 30, 2012 policy memo shown in Appendix A. District Engineers will delegate signature authority in accordance with policy. When signed by the designated official, the CO is approved.
Adhere to district policy and procedures in the review and approval of COs that may be approved at the district level.Anchor: #b070016
Federal-Aid Projects - Projects of Division Interest (PoDI)
Refer to Chapter 16, "FHWA Oversight Requirements," for more informationAnchor: #b070004
State Funded Projects
COs on state funded projects are approved in accordance with the franchise model approval authority outlined in the May 30, 2012 policy memo shown in Appendix A. CO work may not begin until either written or verbal approval is obtained. Signatures must follow District, Construction Division, and Executive Director Signature authority found on Contract Services Division webpage.Anchor: #i1010521
Extending or Adding Project Limits to the Contract
Districts may extend or add project limits if all of the following conditions are met.
- Anchor: #HHPNJCNI
- Transition or tie-in work is less than 1,500 feet Anchor: #CAADBNDL
- The work has a value of less than $50,000 Anchor: #ERTMCLTL
- No changes made to unit bid prices Anchor: #XPHDGJYU
- The scope of work remains the same Anchor: #WLLLGNLM
- The funding category remains the same Anchor: #VHJNSIEW
- No new CSJs are required Anchor: #UWNPTKEA
- No additional environmental clearance is necessary
If all the above conditions are not met, a CO must be submitted for DE approval, regardless of the amount. Be sure to maintain the integrity of the competitive bid process.
Use the following procedure to add CSJs to the contract through a contract CO,
Adds the CSJ to FIMS upon receipt of the CO
CO Submission Requirements Related to Added Limits
The approval of added limit COs will require the following documentation.
- Anchor: #KFXUURRU
- Statement of environmental clearance status along with necessary updates to meet environmental requirements. Anchor: #ONLODHLT
- Notice of Intent threshold impacts Anchor: #FHPCANLL
- Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) review for Texas Accessibility Standards (TAS) compliance Anchor: #POVCQDXR
- Explanation of the reason(s) the change order is needed Anchor: #EJLJTANT
- Justification, such as a description of: Anchor: #HELJGTIG
- Determination that there is no change
- Anchor: #TWIYAGET
- Have the contract work elements changed? Anchor: #OTNNNVHS
- How does the additional work impact quantities and cost? Anchor: #VLKWIUGB
- Does the proposed change impact the complexity of the work? Anchor: #ISVFPXRL
- What is the cumulative impact on the project? Anchor: #JTQOFIGM
- What is the substantial benefit to the public for not bidding out the additional work?
- Funding source category