Chapter 10: Prosecution and ProgressAnchor: #BCEFIGJB
Section 1: Workers and EquipmentAnchor: #b100001
In accordance with Article 5.5, "Cooperation of Contractor", the contractor must furnish suitable machinery, equipment, and construction forces for the proper prosecution and completion of the work.Anchor: #i1018117
Ensure that the contractor staffs every project under contract with TxDOT with a Superintendent who is available at all times during the course of the project. The project Superintendent should be named in writing and documented within the project files by the contractor. In accordance with Article 5.5, the Engineer may suspend work without suspending working day charges for any of the following reasons.
- Anchor: #MSPMXXGR
- The Superintendent is inexperienced with the work being performed and not capable of reading and understanding the contract. Anchor: #TFQNVDSH
- There is an absence of the named project Superintendent during the prosecution of project work. Anchor: #WDMCUMNO
- The Superintendent is unable to receive instructions from the Engineer and to act for the contractor.
Only by written request of the Engineer, contractor employees or representatives may be removed from the work locations when the following conditions are determined to exist.
- Anchor: #SMQYVWUF
- Work is not performed in a proper and skillful manner. Anchor: #PESPCLHW
- Employees or representatives are:
When work is performed at night, the contractor must provide adequate lighting so that:
- Anchor: #JTBMTNOS
- the work can be performed safely, Anchor: #TKYUWKCR
- the work can be adequately inspected, and Anchor: #ODAOEXDW
- traffic can move safely around the work
OSHA Standard 1926.56 has the minimum lighting standards for workers safety. If deemed necessary, TxDOT has the right to request additional lighting above the minimum in order to facilitate adequate inspection and safe operations of the work. Notify the contractor of failure(s) to comply with these requirements. If the contractor does not correct the identified deficiencies, suspend the work without suspending the working day charges and withhold all future estimates until the contractor complies.
Refer to the Traffic Safety Division's Work Zone Safety and Mobility Guidelines for more information.