Section 2: Use of Joint Checks to Guarantee Payment for Materials and SuppliesAnchor: #i999184
Step 1: Review DBE Joint Check Approval (Form 2178) and supporting documentation:
- Anchor: #JTJFVALX
- DBE’s written request to the prime contractor for the use of a joint check agreement. Anchor: #GBOUYENK
- Documentation of DBE subcontractor applying for credit with the material supplier. Anchor: #JHNMAYJX
- Material supplier’s response to DBE subcontractor denying credit.
Step 2: Verify or ensure the following:
- Anchor: #OMPSPKBD
- The prime contractor has not required the subcontractor to use a specific supplier or the prime contractor’s negotiated unit price. Anchor: #KOWHNCOM
- The DBE subcontractor is more than an extra participant in releasing the check to the material supplier. Anchor: #VANNFOCM
- The DBE subcontractor (not the prime contractor) negotiates the quantities, price and delivery of materials. Anchor: #AKUTOHYD
- The prime contractor issuing the check acts solely as guarantor. Anchor: #ICMDXPXX
- The DBE subcontractor releases the check to the supplier. Anchor: #WHEVPGNH
- The arrangement is short-term with the purpose being the DBE subcontractor’s establishment or increase of a credit line with the material supplier. Anchor: #MTVBOOOT
- The DBE subcontractor is responsible for both furnishing and installing the material/work item. Anchor: #LGFPAEOL
- The DBE subcontractor and the prime contractor must keep records of paid invoices and canceled checks as the LG will regularly be requesting them to ensure compliance.
Step 3: Complete the DBE Joint Check Approval (Form 2178) approving or denying joint check arrangement.
Step 4: Respond in writing to prime contractor, with a copy to the DBE subcontractor, approving or denying joint check arrangement.
Step 5: Periodically monitor the use of joint checks.
Step 6: Request a copy of cancelled checks for the months the contractor issued a joint check to each DBE with an approved DBE Joint Check Approval.
Step 7: Ensure allowable goal credit begins the date the joint check request is approved.