Manual Notice: 2011-1
From: Judy Skeen, P. E., Director, Technology Services Division
Manual: TxDOT Survey Manual
Effective Date: April 01, 2011
To communicate changes and additions to TxDOT’s surveying procedures, as well as provide general reference for surveying procedures performed by and for the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT).
The further intent of this manual is to incorporate changes in technology and the evolution of surveying methodologies and policies at TxDOT. This manual is for use by TxDOT employees, TxDOT contractors and consultants.
This manual provides information on the use of surveying technology to perform surveys at the state and district level, including small-scale mapping projects.
This manual also incorporates appropriate reference material for surveying as well as the laws, rules, and regulations adopted by the Texas Board of Professional Land Surveying (TBPLS) to ensure TxDOT’s compliance with all applicable laws.
Minor changes and edits were made throughout the manual for grammar, correctness, and clarity.
Chapter 3, Preliminary Surveying
Re-numbered figures throughout the chapter due to deletions and replacement mentioned below.
Section 4, Photogrammetry
- Deleted Figure 3-1, Ground Control Submission Form (2154). Replaced the figure with a link directly to the form.
- Replaced previously numbered Figure 3-4, Example of Control Target Layout and Naming with updated version. Figure 3-4 re-numbered to Figure 3-3.
Section 5, GPS Surveying
- Deleted Figure 3-6, Sample GPS Log Sheet. Replaced the figure with a table.
Chapter 5, Right of Way Surveying
Re-numbered figures throughout the chapter due to deletions mentioned below.
Section 4, ROW Mapping Requirements
- Deleted Figures 5-1 through 5-11. Replaced figures with a table containing links to the sample ROW parcels.
Section 5, ROW Map Components
- Deleted Figure 5-12. Replaced the figure with a link to the sample ROW title sheet.
- Deleted Figure 5-13. Replaced the figure with a link to the sample ROW map sheet.
Users are encouraged to print this manual double-sided from the PDF. To ensure manual currency, check the publishing date of printed manuals against the manual found on the General Services Division Online Manuals System website.
Please address your comments, concerns, or questions regarding this manual’s information policies, guidelines, procedures, and practices to the TxDOT Standing Committee on Surveying (SCOS).
Past manual notices are available from a pdf archive.