Manual Notice: 2018-1
From: Gregg A. Freeby, P.E., Director, Bridge Division
Manual: Geotechnical Manual
Effective Date: March 01, 2018Anchor: #INXBIREM
This manual provides guidance to districts in geotechnical investigation and design for project development.Anchor: #ODFYRCVA
The revisions contained in each chapter of this version are to clarify the policy and high-level procedures published in 2012. Generally, revisions to the manual were to:
- Anchor: #UGSGCSLH
- update information in Chapter 3 regarding Standard Penetration Testing design methodologies; Anchor: #XUCOVNWJ
- make minor editorial changes to Chapter 4; Anchor: #OTCPCRVG
- make editorial changes to the design requirements for various retaining walls in Chapter 6; and Anchor: #WBMKCFTS
- provide clarification on the infinite slope analysis in Chapter 7.
Chapter 5 underwent significant revisions and updates, which include:
- Anchor: #FFHDVYEV
- adding an upper limit to the skin friction and point bearing graphs for Texas Cone Penetration values harder than 100 blows/12 inches; Anchor: #NWRYVOXI
- updating the maximum allowable service load table for drilled shafts to include larger diameters; Anchor: #TCYATPEK
- adding new sections on drilled shaft reinforcement, drilled shaft integrity testing, dynamic monitoring, and foundation load testing; Anchor: #YWFNJRLQ
- clarifications to the layout notes for drilled shafts; Anchor: #KCNUBTKY
- updating the scour section to include new bridges with known foundations, existing bridges with known foundations, existing bridges with unknown foundations, bridge class culverts, and scour critical bridges; and Anchor: #NPUICHTI
- adding a new section on stone protection at bridges.
The revised manual supersedes prior versions of the manual.Anchor: #FVSEMOPQ
For more information about any portion of this manual, please contact the TxDOT Bridge Division.Anchor: #OYKJFYRR
Past manual notices are available in a PDF archive.