Chapter 1: Highway Safety Improvement ProgramAnchor: #i1030968
Section 1: OverviewAnchor: #i1030973
The Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU) raised the stature of the highway safety program by establishing highway safety improvement as a core program, tied to strategic safety planning and performance.
SAFETEA-LU established the Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) as a core program, separately funded for the first time, with flexibility provided to allow states to target funds to their most critical safety needs. The HSIP requires states to develop and implement a Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP). The purpose of the SHSP is to identify and analyze highway safety problems and opportunities, include projects or strategies to address them, and evaluate the accuracy of data and the priority of proposed improvements. The goal is to achieve a significant reduction in traffic fatalities and serious injuries on all public roads.
The Texas SHSP identifies the serious crash types that the HSIP will focus on in order to meet the state’s goals and objectives of reducing fatal and serious injury crashes in Texas.Anchor: #i1030997
The HSIP is federally funded. Program funds are eligible to cover 90 percent of project construction costs. The remaining 10 percent of project construction costs must be covered by state or local participation. Authorization to receive federal funds is found in Title 23, United States Code (23 U.S.C.), Section 148. The federal requirements outlining the HSIP structure are found in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Title 23, Section 924.7.Anchor: #i1031007
The Texas HSIP is made up of two safety construction programs, the Hazard Elimination (HES) and the High Risk Rural Roads (HRRR) programs.
The HES program focuses on construction and operational improvements for locations both on and off the state highway system (excluding interstate highways).
The HRRR program focuses on construction and operational improvements on high-risk rural roads. High-risk rural roads are paved roadways functionally classified as rural major or minor collectors, or rural local roads with a fatal and incapacitating injury crash rate above the statewide average for those functional classes of roadways.
Both the HES and HRRR programs are administered by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) Traffic Operations Division (TRF). They are part of the TxDOT Unified Transportation Program (Category 8). TRF identifies potential highway safety project locations and works with the districts to develop projects as funds are available. Questions regarding the HSIP should be addressed to the TRF, Traffic Engineering (TE) Section.Anchor: #i1031032
Eligible Work Types
Projects funded in the HSIP will be limited to improvements that address the serious crash types identified in the most current Texas SHSP.
There are also some items of work that may address a serious crash type, but that are not eligible for HSIP funding. Some types of work ineligible for HSIP funding are:
- Anchor: #UKSSXMOD
- all work on interstate highways (unless specified in the call for project proposals) Anchor: #XAISFVXG
- bridge replacement Anchor: #OXJHWWNR
- general maintenance (maintenance of roadways, signs, signals, pavement markings, markers, etc.).
Confidentiality of Data
Federal statute 23 USC 409 makes data and reports confidential if they are compiled for the purpose of evaluating the safety of federal-aid highways. Data used in the HSIP should not be released. Any written request must be routed through the TxDOT Office of General Counsel (OGC).