Chapter 5: Lighting EquipmentAnchor: #i1002078
Section 1: OverviewAnchor: #i1002083
This chapter covers the specifications, materials, and construction practices related to the equipment used in highway illumination.Anchor: #i1002093
TxDOT Standard Specifications Book
TxDOT's Standard Specifications for Construction and Maintenance of Highways, Streets and Bridges specifies standard equipment and procedures to be used in the construction and maintenance of TxDOT highway projects.
Roadway illumination projects typically use specifications from the Chapter 600 Items - Lighting, Signing, Markings and Signals. Typical specifications used in a roadway lighting project include:
- Anchor: #YGVWGNWL
- Item 416, "Drilled Shaft Foundations" Anchor: #SVXBYVBK
- Item 610, "Roadway Illumination Assemblies" Anchor: #KYNIWNJQ
- Item 613, "High Mast Illumination Poles" Anchor: #XLDOKWQS
- Item 614, "High Mast Illumination Assemblies" Anchor: #FJKLAYMO
- Item 616, "Performance Testing of Lighting Systems" Anchor: #GOLICCON
- Item 618, "Conduit" Anchor: #YFIJRGHS
- Item 620, "Conductors" Anchor: #JIXGORDV
- Item 621, "Tray Cable" Anchor: #BJMHNCJN
- Item 622, "Duct Cable" Anchor: #QCKXRTEV
- Item 624, "Ground Boxes" Anchor: #RICUNIJS
- Item 628, "Electrical Services".
Departmental Material Specifications
Departmental Material Specifications (DMS) are reference specifications for various materials published by the TxDOT Construction Division. For roadway illumination projects, the material specifications are in the 11000 series.
- Anchor: #VAPYBYLC
- DMS-11010 through DMS-11012 specifies roadway luminaires Anchor: #PCTXTCVW
- DMS-11020 through DMS-11021 specifies high mast equipment Anchor: #ORQXKPBL
- DMS-11030 specifies conduit Anchor: #QMQIEBGE
- DMS-11040 specifies conductors Anchor: #HKVJNLQO
- DMS-11050 specifies tray cable Anchor: #FAAHCSTU
- DMS-11060 specifies duct cable Anchor: #JCMGYPJE
- DMS-11070 specifies ground boxes Anchor: #BMQPXUPE
- DMS-11080 through 11085 specifies electrical service equipment.
These specifications are referenced by the Standard Specifications and by the electrical and lighting standard sheets, and are available on the TxDOT website.Anchor: #i1002168
Material Producer List
The Material Producer List contains TxDOT-approved products and materials from various manufacturers and producers. The MPL for roadway illumination equipment is called Roadway Illumination and Electrical Supplies. The MPL is posted on the TxDOT website and is updated regularly.
The Traffic Engineering section of the TxDOT Traffic Operations Division (TRF) reviews electrical and lighting equipment submittals for inclusion on the MPL. Materials that meet specifications are placed on the MPL and require no further submittals when used on construction or maintenance projects.
The prequalified equipment on the MPL for Roadway Illumination and Electrical Supplies includes:
- Anchor: #XGNPJRSS
- Item 610: LED roadway luminaires, HPS roadway luminaires, induction underpass luminaires, HPS lamps, photoelectric controls, breakaway fuse holders, and breakaway transformer bases Anchor: #PULGQFUF
- Item 614: HPS high mast luminaires, HPS lamps, high mast assembly kits, and high mast rings Anchor: #ARHTSBUI
- Item 618: Rigid metallic conduit, PVC conduit, and High Density Polyethylene Conduit (HDPE) Anchor: #GBQIMWJK
- Item 620: XHHW conductors and breakaway fuse holders Anchor: #MXWRVRYP
- Item 621: Tray cable Anchor: #GYKFCHJL
- Item 622: Duct cable Anchor: #IHQIANJD
- Item 624: Ground boxes and covers Anchor: #FUCKMVST
- Item 628: Electrical service equipment and photoelectric controls.
Other MPL lists may also apply to roadway lighting projects, including:
- Anchor: #OMWABHXV
- Roadway Illumination Pole and Luminaire Arm Fabrication Plants: Item 610 requires fabricators of roadway illumination poles and arms to be approved in accordance with DMS-7380, "Steel Non-Bridge Member Fabrication Plant Qualification." This MPL contains a list of approved fabrication plants. Anchor: #IECNVBOY
- High Mast Illumination Pole Fabrication Plants: Item 613 requires fabricators of high mast poles to be approved in accordance with DMS-7380, "Steel Non-Bridge Member Fabrication Plant Qualification." This MPL contains a list of approved fabrication plants. Anchor: #FLMOUUTG
- High Mast Ring and Support Assembly Fabrication Plants: Item 614 requires fabricators of high mast rings and support assemblies to be approved in accordance with DMS-7380, "Steel Non-Bridge Member Fabrication Plant Qualification." This MPL contains a list of approved fabrication plants.
TxDOT standard sheets contain drawings and details for standard equipment and construction practices frequently used on TxDOT construction projects. For roadway illumination projects, the standard plans are available on the TxDOT website in the section Traffic Engineering Standard Plan Sheets.
- Anchor: #XMUAMLEU
- ED -The Electrical Details sheets specify construction practices for installing conduit, conductors, ground boxes, and electrical service equipment. Anchor: #EENDSJEK
- RID -The Roadway Illumination Details sheets specify construction practices for installing pole lighting, light pole foundations, and underpass lighting. Anchor: #THQRMACD
- RIP - The Roadway Illumination Pole Details sheets specify construction and fabrication practices for light poles, luminaire arms, anchor bolts, and breakaway transformer bases. Anchor: #GUCSRMDO
- HMID - The High Mast Illumination Details sheets specify construction and fabrication details for high mast rings, lowering devices, electrical systems, and luminaires. Anchor: #DTVRAYVR
- HMIP - The High Mast Illumination Poles sheets specify construction and fabrication details for high mast poles. Anchor: #SABKEKXO
- HMIF - The High Mast Illumination Pole Foundations sheets specify construction and fabrication details for high mast pole foundations.
Special Specifications and Special Provisions
If non-standard equipment is called for on a project, it may be specified by special specification or by special provision. A special specification is a supplemental specification not covered by the standard specifications. A special provision is an addition or revision to a standard specification or a special specification.
Special specifications and special provisions must be submitted via email to CST_RDWY_SPECS@txdot.gov for approval before using them on a project. Previously used special specifications and provisions are available on the TxDOT website and may be resubmitted for new projects.