Manual Notice: 2018-1
From: Michael A. Chacon, P.E.
Manual: Highway Illumination Manual
Effective Date: January 31, 2018Anchor: #MTCCCEWQ
To establish and revise internal procedures and requirements necessary to implement Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) administrative rules on continuous and safety lighting systems as set forth in 43 TAC 25.11, and to provide information relevant to highway illumination.Anchor: #HVUFJQPB
The revised Highway Illumination Manual supersedes all prior versions of the Highway Illumination Manual.Anchor: #FCCYLMBN
This manual represents a nearly complete revision of the superseded manual to reflect new and updated state and federal policies and standards pertaining to highway illumination.
Descriptions of the changes in each chapter are as follows:
Chapter 1 - Introduction:
- Anchor: #SIEUDGLI
- Training, references, and responsibilities were updated.
Chapter 2 - Lighting Systems, Eligibility, and Warrants:
- Anchor: #PFJRYYEF
- Definitions for eligibility and warrants were updated. Anchor: #QAEYYRIG
- Warrants were modified to more closely follow the AASHTO Roadway Lighting Design Guide.
Chapter 3 - Master Lighting Plans:
- Anchor: #QYLIAEJN
- The overview was updated, and the AASHTO Roadway Lighting Design Guide was referenced for the most current information on master lighting plans.
Chapter 4 - Lighting Agreements:
- Anchor: #RTQAHUXG
- This chapter was updated using the most current information from the Negotiated Contracts Policy Manual and the Negotiated Contracts Procedures Manual.
Chapter 5 - Lighting Equipment:
- Anchor: #NEXQKONQ
- Details for each of the electrical and illumination items in the 600 series from the TxDOT Standard Specifications were added. Anchor: #RTKVDVBQ
- Details for each of the electrical and illumination items covered in the 11000 series of the Departmental Material Specification were added. Anchor: #JMVHPDIC
- Information covering the Material Producers List for Roadway Illumination and Electrical Supplies was added. Anchor: #XYCPBUKP
- Information on the ED, RID, RIP, HMID, HMIP, and HMIF standard sheets was added.
Chapter 6 - Lighting Design and Layout:
- Anchor: #QWGBTUTT
- A section with illumination levels was added. Anchor: #FKWUUNIS
- Information concerning FAA obstruction lighting for high mast poles was added. Anchor: #FVSWWMAK
- Various sections were updated to reflect current practices.
Chapter 7 - Electrical Systems:
- Anchor: #FQHRCKJD
- A section covering TxDOT policy on utility lighting on TxDOT ROW, the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC), and the National Electrical Code (NEC) was added. Anchor: #YVWTQVJK
- Additional information on electrical services was added. Anchor: #INEBMHHS
- Additional information concerning circuit design and voltage drop was added.
Chapter 8 - Temporary Lighting:
- Anchor: #WTGPVRSM
- Information covering method of payment for temporary lighting was updated.
Chapter 9 - Construction and Maintenance Guidelines:
- Anchor: #MBCNIGDU
- Information on relocation of light poles was updated.
Chapter 10 - Resources:
- Anchor: #CLKUWVYV
- This section was added to consolidate additional information. Anchor: #TKVJBVBT
- Links to Form 1409, Texas Administrative Code Rule 25.11, and Texas Health and Safety Code Chapter 425 were added. Anchor: #IAMLRVNU
- Memos covering TxDOT policy on the use of the NESC and NEC were added. Anchor: #LJHTFRVA
- The clear zone table from the Roadway Design Manual was added. Anchor: #MPOOBNCO
- The glossary was updated and added to this section.
General Counsel Division Review. The General Counsel Division reviewed the draft version of this manual and offered many comments and suggestions, which we considered and incorporated as appropriate.
Compliance Division Review. The Compliance Division reviewed the draft version of this manual and offered many comments and suggestions, which we considered and incorporated as appropriate.
District and Division Review. Potential users in several districts and concerned divisions reviewed the draft versions of this manual. We received numerous comments and suggestions, which we considered and incorporated as appropriate.Anchor: #OOLCKCFV
Address questions concerning information contained in this manual to Greg Jones of the Traffic Operations Division, 512-416‑3121.Anchor: #WEWBJMVO
Copyright © 2018 by Texas Department of Transportation.
Published by the Traffic Operations Division (TRF).Anchor: #GOMOMWTN
Past manual notices for the Highway Illumination Manual are available in a pdf archive.