Section 2: Procedure for Archiving Design NotesAnchor: #GDSODIGM
Scan the notes (or convert electronic files) and gather them into a single PDF file. Create separate PDF files for each bridge. In the case of a single design done for twin structures, submit the same notes under two separate NBI numbers.
A hard copy of computer software input files is not required. Hard copies of computer software output should be included with the following:
- Anchor: #ENETPSKF
- Input echo Anchor: #BISNOPKG
- Key pages of output, annotated by hand if necessary, such that the design's outcome, including controlling load case and limit state, can be understood by review of the output annotation. Anchor: #LYKDVULC
- Key pages of output, annotated by hand if necessary demonstrating that other load cases and limit states do not control the outcome of the design.
Include the following required design elements in the PDF file:
- Anchor: #PDYCFWDW
- Calculations and other documentation
establishing the bridge’s superstructure design satisfies controlling
load cases and limit states, for the following elements:
- Girders or beams Anchor: #MBRTARIX
- Stringers Anchor: #DHJONBTX
- Floor beams Anchor: #HPADWXIT
- Trusses, including secondary elements such as bracing and gusset plates Anchor: #WRGMKAYB
- Arches and hangers, including secondary elements such as bracing and gusset plates Anchor: #UTEOVIGS
- Cable stays Anchor: #NKBLKIGJ
- Other elements not specifically excluded
- Calculations and other documentation establishing the bridge’s substructure design satisfies controlling load cases and limit states, for the following elements: Anchor: #NFCMMKMY
- Calculations and other documentation establishing the bridge’s foundation design satisfies design requirements, for the following elements:
Additionally, the file should contain:
- Anchor: #OKUGWDML
- Completed TxDOT Quality Control Cover Sheet from the Quality Control and Quality Assurance Guide at http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/library/pubs/bus/bridge/qa_qc_guide.pdf. Consultant Designers are allowed to use their own cover sheet if it is similar to the TxDOT Quality Control Cover Sheet. Anchor: #KFBFYLRS
- Bridge layout at the time of the original design Anchor: #FRHLIQYV
- Communication directly related to the included elements Anchor: #CPPNQUBE
- Do not include bridge geometry runs (BGS, Geomath, spreadsheets, etc.).
Name the file using the following naming convention:
- Anchor: #HPPOVFBF
- Design notes: NBI_DN_yyyy-mm, with yyyy-mm being the year and month the PDF file is submitted (ex. 1234567890abcde_DN_2015-01) Anchor: #MUHGHPSE
- Change Orders: NBI_CO_yyyy-mm (ex. 1234567890abcde_CO_2015-01)
Delivering the File
Deliver the PDF file using DropBox, at https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/dropbox/
- Anchor: #EHGMXRAQ
- Select Drop-off. Anchor: #KBFEPAID
- Enter Sender Information. Anchor: #XMLBNWUO
- Enter Recipient Information (use email: BRG_Design_Notes@txdot.gov) Anchor: #UBNKHHYC
- Attach the design notes PDF file. Anchor: #TNBGWYET
- Select Drop-off the File(s).
If the PDF is created by a Consultant designer, the Consultant sends the PDF bridge design notes to the TxDOT contract manager or the District Bridge Engineer, who will submit the notes at the DropBox link above.
Once the file has been uploaded, the auto-generated email will serve as notification to the Bridge Management Group that files have been received. The Bridge Management Group is responsible for transferring the files into TxDOT’s bridge inspection database management system, where they will become part of the permanent bridge file.