Section 6: Columns for Multi-Column BentsAnchor: #i1351845
Use TxDOT Class C concrete ( = 3.6 ksi) and Grade 60 reinforcing steel. Higher concrete or steel strengths may be required in special cases.
Higher reinforcing steel grades may be used, provided their use satisfies requirements in AASHTO.
The minimum size column and drilled shaft for grade separation structures is 36-in diameter unless a larger size is noted elsewhere. Column and drilled shaft sizes smaller than 36-in diameter are permissible for widenings only for similitude.Anchor: #i1351872
Analysis and design is not required for round columns supporting multi-column bents when the following conditions are met:
- Column spacing does not exceed 18 ft.
- Column height, measured from bottom of the cap to top of drilled shaft or footing, does not exceed 12 times the column diameter (measured in feet). Example: 36’ height limit for a 3-ft diameter column. For drilled shaft foundations in stream crossings, the bottom of the column is to be taken at the bottom of the scour envelope.
- Columns are reinforced with the minimum amount of reinforcement, both longitudinally and laterally, as prescribed in AASHTO.
- Columns meet these size requirements based on
- Slab spans, 24 in.
- Pan form spans, 24 in.
- Slab beam and spread slab beam spans, 24 in.
- Box beam and spread box beam spans, 36 in.
- Types Tx28 through Tx54 girder spans, 36 in.
- Types Tx62 and Tx70 girder spans, 42 in.
- U40 and U54 beam spans, 36 in.
- For other beam types, compare drilled shaft load to what would be expected using one of the preceding superstructures, and use a column diameter as appropriate.
If these conditions are not met, column design and analysis, including second order effects and stiffness reduction from cracked concerete, is required.
For columns subjected to bending under unfactored dead load, satisfy the minimum reinforcement requirements of Article 184.108.40.206, using an exposure factor consistent with the site and other bridge elements.
For non-contact lap splices between the column and its foundation, meet the requirements of Article 220.127.116.11.1.