Section 4: Roadside DrainageAnchor: #i1003886
General Roadside Drainage Guidelines
Roadside drainage appurtenances should be preserved as near as practical to the originally constructed or subsequently modified conditions to assure normal runoff is collected and removed from the roadway and/or right of way. Such appurtenances include:
- Anchor: #DHCMTVNB
- ditches Anchor: #VCEAVLSK
- gutters Anchor: #PUIFURIM
- side drains Anchor: #RRUIKWEQ
- outlets Anchor: #RPCKEHFO
- irrigation ditches.
Maintenance and Repair
Drainage appurtenances can be clogged by the following obstructions:
- Anchor: #VPKPHQRS
- silting Anchor: #GJYTNEIG
- erosion Anchor: #JFYSDLSK
- earth slides Anchor: #CMMOSWWC
- excessive brush and vegetation.
Obstructions should be removed as soon as practical when they create conditions that could restrict flow.Anchor: #i1003957
TxDOT's maintenance activities occasionally require erosion control measures. The primary tool to reduce erosion is the timely revegetation of disturbed areas. For additional information, see the reference manual for revegetation activities, A Guide to Roadside Vegetation Establishment.