Section 3: TrainingAnchor: #i1002788
This manual provides general information about pavement design processes and procedures. Information on more comprehensive training courses and materials is available through the district pavement engineer, the Maintenance Division, Pavement Asset Management Section and other sources. A partial list of available training courses is as follows:
- Anchor: #PFGVVSWG
- Web based training courses through the National Highway Institute (NHI)/American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and the Transportation Curriculum Coordination Council (TCCC). Topical content for these courses includes pavement preservation treatments, in-place recycling techniques, highway materials, and pavement maintenance and rehabilitation. NHI training opportunities can be found at https://www.nhi.fhwa.dot.gov/default.aspx. Courses are frequently updated and most courses are free after setting up an account. Anchor: #NCHCLIRR
- Classroom training courses through NHI. Check the NHI web page for topics; classes typically require a minimum enrollment and have an associated fee. Anchor: #AFIJMXYL
- Flexible Pavement Design and Evaluation, Version 21 (FPS 21) and MODULUS Backcalculation Program. Training is presented as a “workshop” by MNT – Pavement Asset Management. Contact MNT – Pavement Asset Management to schedule (see Contacts section below). Anchor: #TJUFAWQN
- Rigid Pavement Design, DarWin® 3.1 for CPCD and TxCRCP-ME for CRCP. Training is presented as a “workshop” by MNT – Pavement Asset Management. Contact MNT – Pavement Asset Management to schedule (see Contacts section below). Anchor: #YMIJSGXW
- Flexible Pavement Rehabilitation Strategies Training Course Self-paced training media developed by Texas A&M Transportation Institute (TTI). Although somewhat dated in terms of software versions discussed within, this product offers a comprehensive discussion on evaluating flexible pavement structures using current non-destructive tools and overall design considerations. Please refer to MNT, Pavement Engineering, to download the course. Anchor: #DRTRVSOQ
- Rigid Pavement Rehabilitation Strategies Training Course. Self-paced training media developed by TTI. Please refer to MNT. Pavement Engineering, to download the course. Anchor: #TARILWJJ
- Web based training for Modulus 6.0 and the Modulus Temperature Correction program are available on the TxDOT Pavement Design and Analysis Training web site. Web based training is also available for FPS-19W, the predecessor to the current flexible pavement design program FPS 21 (adopted August 2011). Inputs and much of the program functionality have not changed between these programs and there are currently no plans to produce an on line training program exclusively for FPS 21. Anchor: #YATFCKBU
- Web based training for Rational Estimation of Pavement Remaining life (REPP2000), Design Modulus Values from Seismic Data Collection (SMART), and Impacts of Construction Quality Life Cycle of Pavement (RECIPPE) are available on The Center of Transportation Infrastructure Systems at The University of Texas at El Paso (CTIS) Pavement Design and Analysis Training web site http://ctis.utep.edu/products/.
Other training and reference material is available from your TxDOT training coordinator.