Manual Notice: 2013-1
From: Mark Marek, P.E.
Manual: Project Development Process Manual
Effective Date: August 08, 2013
This revision is intended to update the Project Development Process Manual, specifically Chapter 2, Section 6, based on Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21) revisions.
The following changes have been made:
Chapter 2, Section 6. This section has been revised to:
- Update Pertinent Project Types - A Value Engineering (VE) study requirement for all projects on the NHS receiving Federal Assistance with an estimated cost of $50 million or more.
- Update Pertinent Project Types - A VE study requirement for all bridge projects on the NHS receiving Federal Assistance with an estimated cost of $40 million or more.
- Add Item to Helpful Suggestions - Consider a VE study when cost is approximately $10 million less than required threshold to account for project scope creep in the estimate.
- Add Item to Critical Sequencing - Reevaluate project scope and cost as it nears construction letting to determine if a VE study would be required or beneficial.
- Add Item to Subsection 2710, sub-tasks - Document design changes resulting from VE recommendation on Executive Summary Form.
This revision will be distributed online only.
This manual, and all revisions, applies to all highway and street project development, whether developed by the department or with consultant staff. This manual, and all revisions, will be effective for all projects beginning with the publication of this manual.
For general comments and suggestions for future revisions of this manual, contact the Design Division, Roadway Design Section.
Past manual notices are available in a pdf archive.