Section 5: Gulf Intracoastal WaterwayAnchor: #i1000962
This policy states that the department will administer the Texas Coastal Waterway Act of 1975 as the non-federal sponsor of the main channel of the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway from the Sabine River to the Brownsville Ship Channel.Anchor: #i1000972
The purpose of this policy is:
- to comply with the Texas Coastal Waterway Act of 1975
- to clarify the role of organizational units pertaining to the acquisition of dredge disposal sites.
Transportation Planning and Programming Division has responsibility for:
- local sponsorship requirements for evaluation, planning, maintenance, preservation, enhancement, and future improvements of the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway
- evaluation and selection of sites for the disposal of dredged material
- coordination with Corps of Engineers and state and federal agencies for environmental impact sites, if required
- conducting public meetings and commission hearings
Right of Way Division has responsibility for the acquisition including:
- negotiation and purchase of sites for the disposal of dredged material in conjunction with the Transportation Planning and Programming Division
- acquisition work schedule adherence related to the title search phase, surveying, negotiation, and purchase of sites.
Houston, Yoakum, Corpus Christi, Beaumont, and Pharr Districts will appoint a liaison to assist:
- the Right of Way Division in all phases of site acquisition
- the TPP Division in all phases of sponsorship requirements.
Current Policy: Executive Order 4-90
Supersedes: Administrative Order 20-83
Reference: Texas Coastal Waterway Act, Transportation Code, Chapter 51 43 TAC §2.45