Chapter 2: Regional and State PolicyAnchor: #BGBDECEH
Section 1: Transportation Improvement ProgramAnchor: #i1000703
The metropolitan planning organization (MPO) shall develop a metropolitan Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) containing a list of projects which have been approved for development in the near term. The metropolitan TIP shall cover projects within the metropolitan planning area.
Each Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) district shall develop a rural Transportation Improvement Program containing a list of projects which have been approved for development in the near term. The rural TIP shall cover projects outside the metropolitan area boundaries.
The process for developing both metropolitan and rural TIPs shall adhere to the following:
- all TIPs shall be financially constrained to the available and projected funds
- all TIPs shall include a financial plan
- projects in metropolitan TIPs shall be derived from an approved metropolitan transportation plan
- projects in rural TIPs must be consistent with the Statewide Transportation Plan
- development of all TIPs shall follow approved public involvement processes
- projects selected in nonattainment areas must conform with the Clean Air Act Amendments (CAAA) and the state implementation plan.
The approved TIPs will constitute the basis for the Statewide Transportation Improvement Program. They are also used as the basis for advancing projects to construction within and outside the metropolitan boundaries.Anchor: #i1000763
The Transportation Planning and Programming Division (TPP) is responsible for disseminating information necessary to implement the requirements of 23 U.S.C. 134. The MPO, in cooperation with the department and the publicly owned transit operators, is responsible for developing the metropolitan TIP. Each TxDOT district office is responsible for its rural TIP.Anchor: #i1000773
Current Policy: 43 TAC 15.7
Reference: 23 CFR 450.324 & 450.200