Chapter 6: Railroad Capital Improvement ProjectsAnchor: #i999793
Section 1: OverviewAnchor: #i999798
Projects initiated by the railroad companies are referred to as railroad capital improvement projects. Some common railroad capital improvement projects that may impact highways and TxDOT rights-of-way are:
- adding new track parallel to an existing track
- adding a spur track to an industry customer
- maintenance, such as replacement of ties, rail, and ballast including at-grade crossing work
- underpass bridge inspection, repair, and replacement
- upgrades to circuitry and switching
- adjustments related to abandoning, removing, or placing a rail line out of service
- rail yard expansion
- installation of new maintenance driveways.
Capital Improvement Project Agreement Flow Chart
Figure 6-1 presents a flow chart depicting the process for obtaining a project agreement on a railroad capital improvement project.
NOTE: Not all steps are applicable to all railroad capital improvement projects. Project steps and time frames will vary depending on the scope of the project.
Figure 6-1. Railroad Capital Improvement Project Flow Chart