Chapter 5: Temporary Bridge RailingAnchor: #CIHEJHID
Section 1: OverviewAnchor: #i998877
Temporary bridge railing or barrier is installed on existing bridges during widening and on new bridges during staged construction.Anchor: #RREOSUCK
MASH requires all barriers, including temporary barriers, to meet its crash test criteria.
Bridge railings that will be permanent in the final bridge, but act as temporary barriers during construction, must be installed with all their components for the full duration of use, and must satisfy the minimum height specified for the rail.Anchor: #SGEAQVNU
Selection of Temporary Railing
- Anchor: #DHFCSAYH
- Some factors
to weigh in the selection of an appropriate temporary barrier or
bridge railing are:
- Anchor: #KWTCFQWU
- Traffic volume and mix (for example, percentage of truck traffic) Anchor: #OSHEWLKF
- Posted speed within the work zone Anchor: #PYIOMXYU
- Width of temporary lanes, number of lanes, and shoulder width if any Anchor: #GATAKEHS
- Alignment of the bridge (that is, curves and grades) Anchor: #BJWXUVUV
- Duration of construction.