Section 3: Factors Influencing PerformanceAnchor: #i1000235
The performance of seal coats and surface treatments depends on:
- construction techniques used
- properties of the bituminous binder and the stone
- amounts of stone and binder used and the uniformity of application
- development of good adhesion initially which must be maintained throughout the life of the surfacing
- development of a dense interlocking mosaic of stone
- strength of the underlying base or condition of underlying pavement
- amount and type of traffic
- environmental and drainage conditions.
These factors will be discussed in more detail later in this manual.