Chapter 3: Project Level Traffic Data DevelopmentAnchor: #CIHHHBGC
Section 1: Feasibility StudiesAnchor: #i1001338
TxDOT performs feasibility studies to determine the engineering and economic feasibility of a proposed project. A feasibility study is the first level of study required for projects under consideration by TxDOT for long-range project authorization (LRP).
TxDOT uses traffic forecasts in feasibility studies to analyze a preliminary facility alignment, cross-section, and access scheme to determine the effectiveness of the project to serve the projected demand. They also use traffic studies to estimate the financial feasibility of the project through cost-benefit analysis.Anchor: #i1001353
Traffic Data Provided
TPP provides the following traffic data for a feasibility study:
- design year non-directional average daily traffic (ADT) with estimates of the directional distribution, peak hour traffic, and truck percentages
- base year non-directional ADT with estimates of the directional distribution and peak hour and truck percentages
- base year and design year daily VMT for the system and the corridor
- base year and design year daily vehicle hours of travel for the system and the corridor
- base year and design year vehicle hours of delay for the system and the corridor
- base year and design year average vehicle speed for the system and the corridor.