Section 8: Annual Report to NHTSAAnchor: #i1007332
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) Traffic Operations Division - Traffic Safety Section (TRF-TS) is responsible for submitting the annual report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The report describes the accomplishments of the Texas Highway Safety Program and is due within 90 days after the end of the federal fiscal year (December 31).Anchor: #i1007342
As prescribed in the “Uniform Procedures for State Highway Safety Programs,” (23 CFR 1200.33), the annual report must include the following:
- the State's progress in meeting its highway safety goals, using performance measures identified in the Performance Plan. Both baseline and most current level of performance under each measure will be given for each goal.
- a description of how the projects and activities funded during the fiscal year contributed to meeting the State's highway safety goals. Where data becomes available, a state should report progress from prior year projects that have contributed to meeting current state highway safety goals.
Based on the above federal requirements, the TRF-TS Annual Report to NHTSA consists of the Annual Evaluation Report (compiled by TRF-TS) and the Financial Obligation Closeout (compiled by the TxDOT Finance Division [FIN] in coordination with TRF-TS). The TRF-TS Annual Report includes:
- a three- to five-page overview of statewide highway safety accomplishments
- a summary report by program area describing the results
of the completed projects and including a synopsis of:
- costs and accomplishments
- progress toward self-sufficiency
- contributions of independent groups
- any program income earned or used
- significant legislative and administrative accomplishments.
Financial Obligation Closeout
The financial obligation closeout is a final accounting of expenditures. As required in the “Uniform Procedures for State Highway Safety Programs” (23 CFR 1200.22, 1200.23, and 1200.24), the financial obligation closeout will include:
- the final official voucher for
total expenses incurred containing the following information for expenses
claimed in each program area:
- program area or project number
- federal funds obligated
- amount of federal funds allocated to local benefit
- cumulative total cost to date
- cumulative federal funds expended
- previous amount claimed
- amount claimed this period
- special matching rate (if applicable)
- final Highway Safety Performance Program Cost Summary.
TRF-TS is responsible for completing the “Financial Obligation Closeout” and submitting it to the appropriate signature authority for transmittal to NHTSA for approval.