Section 2: Traffic Safety Division SupportAnchor: #i1000094
TRF Support Functions
The Traffic Safety Division (TRF) supports district signal design and operation activities. Support is available in the following areas:
- Anchor: #WYXCFAPV
- plan, specification, and estimate (PS&E) review Anchor: #RLAJCWWU
- operational matters, such as traffic signal phasing and timing Anchor: #LTKSIXBK
- technical issues (such as controllers and detectors), including: Anchor: #MKBYXHJV
- field support, including system installation and troubleshooting.
Signal System Analysis
TRF can provide system analysis for:
- Anchor: #FABISKFE
- arterial signal timing Anchor: #CTTRDNEP
- diamond interchange controllers Anchor: #JWKODALH
- arterial and network timing optimization Anchor: #MMNNFSWA
- arterial and network analysis Anchor: #TXJIUOEQ
- capacity analysis.
Specification Writing and Maintenance
TRF writes and maintains technical specifications for traffic signal equipment for use on contract jobs and for equipment purchased through the Support Services Division (SSD) Regional Supply Center. TRF also assists districts in developing technical specifications for one-time or district-wide use for items not covered by the standard specifications.
Specifications for which TRF is responsible include:
- Anchor: #ODKFCAFB
- traffic signal controllers, Malfunction Management Units (MMU) and cabinets Anchor: #OYVRIXPR
- signal hardware, such as Backup Battery Units (BBU)/Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) units Anchor: #DTPJJBNY
- closed loop systems, and Anchor: #OAPPECTL
- vehicle detectors.
NOTE: For all items that have statewide specifications available, these standard specifications should be used.