Chapter 1: Vegetation Management GuidelinesAnchor: #CHDFFJBF
Section 1: IntroductionAnchor: #i1000859
Executive Order 1-92 states:
The department will maintain highway vegetation in an environmentally sensitive and uniform manner consistent with the special conditions presented by local climate, topography, vegetation, and level of urbanization.
This manual was conceived in the spirit of that policy.Anchor: #i1000878
Purposes of Guidelines
The purposes of the vegetation management guidelines contained in this manual are to:
- enhance the safety of the traveling public
- enhance environmental protection
- promote and preserve native wildlife habitats and native flora throughout the state
- mitigate erosion while providing adequate drainage
- promote coordination and efficiency in maintenance activities.
These principles must be held above all other considerations, with safety being most important.